Chiropractic treatment: an overview
The writer is a chiropractic specialist based in Delray Beach.
Do you want to get back to feeling good? Do you know the NUCCA chiropractic method and understand its essential features and treatment method? In fact, chiropractic treatment is considered a top choice for treatment of your muscles and joints complications, and a chiropractic professional may offer you an affordable solution from a number of health problems.. But what is chiropractic treatment?
The word chiropractic is a Greek word in which cheir means hand and praktiks mean done. The term literally means done by hand. The chiropractic professionals are the practitioners who cure your health through treatments that are done by hand. You don’t need a referral from a general practitioner in order to see a chiropractor.. They manage the spine by using their hands. In general terms, chiropractic practitioners treat the health issues that are related to bones, joints, and muscles. They can also adjust joints like the jaw, elbow, or shoulder. It means they offer solutions to your musculoskeletal conditions. Chiropractors many times can help with other types of symptoms because they help the nervous system heal. The nervous system controls all the internal function of your body.
Chiropractors have a lot of training in the treatment of health issues. They may recommend you different workout techniques and practices to rehabilitate the illness that exists in bones, muscles, and joints. They also suggest nutritional, dietary, and lifestyle consultation. The diagnosis process in the chiropractic method has a wide range of practices. To diagnose the musculoskeletal problems, they may go for hand-on clinical tests, diagnosis through x rays, and MRIs. There are other methods and analyses to determine the nature of health conditions and to establish whether chiropractic treatment is appropriate for your health problem.
If the chiropractic practitioner finds that chiropractic treatment is not suitable for your condition or problem or it needs to be treated along with another health care practitioner, your chiropractic may send you to another health care professional for comprehensive treatment. There are so many cases like lower back pain, where the chiropractic practitioner may be able to help without co-management. There are medical conditions where the chiropractic services may be a compliment or an enhancement for medical treatment through receiving the musculoskeletal disorder that is related to health problems.
For seeking chiropractic treatment, you need no referral.
When do I need chiropractic treatment
There are certain conditions when you should to consider chiropractic care. There are different joint pain issues and back pain problems that occur due to extensive work, accidents, sports-related injuries, household chores, and lifestyle stress. If you are struggling with aching joints or paining muscles, it will affect your movement ability during the day and it may prevent you from performing job-related activities. Chiropractic comes to your rescue in this situation when you need to maintain a healthy spine and joint functions. Even if there are no painful conditions, you may consult a chiropractor for staying healthy.
A chiropractor may be able to help in the following conditions:
- There is consistent pain in your back
- You are experiencing neck pain
- Long-lasting headaches
- You are struggling with whiplash
- You feel stress and strain due to daily activities.
- You have injuries that may be work-related or sport related
- Arthritis related problems
- Restriction in movement in the back, neck or limbs
- You feel like you have a pinched nerve
- You’ve been diagnosed with a disc bulge or herniation
- Chronic migraines
- Vertigo or dizziness
- TMJ (Temporomandibular joint)
Chiropractic diagnosis process
When you have a health issue, you may seek chiropractic treatment and diagnosis process. You need to get an appointment and attend a chiropractic exam. Your chiropractic professional may do the following procedure.
- He/She may go through your medical history.
- Check for vital signs, including your body temperature, pulse, respiratory condition, breathing rate and blood pressure.
- The chiropractor may visually check your spinal curve or other visible health conditions.
- Using the hands, the practitioner palpates your spine and muscles. He/She may check other soft tissues that support your spine and muscles.
Conducting orthopedic tests
These are specific tests that are designed to check health conditions related to the spine, bones, joints, muscles, and soft tissues. It may include ligaments and tendons. During the orthopedic exam, the chiropractor may move the joints, among other things, and measure the extent of this movement.
These examinations are developed for testing the function of the motor, sensory, and cranial nerves. It may include the test of your reflexes and numbness.
If a chiropractor considers suitable, he/she may suggest some more diagnostic tests, including MRI and/or X-ray.
After the tests are performed, the chiropractor may give you a differential diagnostic. In it, he/she will take all causes of your primary complaints into consideration and also provide you a working diagnostic that is base of the primary complaint. Then they may explain their findings and the history of your condition and tell you when it may be resolved. The chiropractor will suggest treatment options and comprehensive benefits, and risks may be evaluated for all treated options.
Treatment procedure in chiropractic
A chiropractic professional may offer you different methods and techniques for the treatment of your health issue. The most common treatment options are as under.
- Spinal Adjustment: The chiropractor uses their hands to apply a controlled force to the joint connecting the spine.
- Mobilization: it is gentle movement f joints that are used to increase the range of motion.
- The practitioner may suggest exercises to treat the condition
- He may recommend applying heat or ice to the affected area.
- The stretching technique is used to reflex muscles and joints.
- The chiropractor may apply soft tissue techniques, or recommend a massage.
- Activity modification: the chiropractor may suggest ways to make changes in your routine activities to avoid and stay away from discomfort and enable recovery.
- Lifestyle modification: he may suggest different heath diets and physical practices for a lifestyle change.
- Drop piece table: a specially built table is used to help the mobilization of joints in a controlled manner.
- Other joints: other joints, including feet, ankles shoulders, wrists, and elbows, is cured.
You may have a consultation with a chiropractor about the shared decision-making process to treat your health problem.
- At Schrier Family Chiropractic, NUCCA chiropractic care is one of the main techniques we use to help the body heal. It is a gentle technique based on x-rays, posture analysis, nerve scans, and orthopedic tests. It is a tailor-made adjustment that gives your body the best ability to get better.
Though a chiropractic professional uses different common and well-known techniques to treat various health issues, but most reputed among these methods is the therapeutic procedure of spinal manipulation. It may also be called a chiropractic adjustment. The chiropractor manually applies force to restore joint mobility. He applies force into joints in a controlled manner to treat the joint movement that has become restricted as a result of an injury to the tissue. With the NUCCA chiropractic care, the adjustments are very gentle with no twisting, cracking or popping.
A single traumatic event may cause tissue injury if you improperly lift a substantial thing or go through repetitive stresses like sitting in a poor posture with a weak spinal position for long hours. In these cases, there are physical and chemical changes in the injured tissues that may cause you long-lasting pain, inflammation, and diminished function.
If you manipulate or adjust the affected joint and tissue, the mobility may be restored. It may alleviate pain and muscle tightness. It will allow the tissues to recover.
If a trained, registered, and seasoned chiropractic professional performs the spinal manipulation, it is safe and secure. Though there may seem mild soreness or discomfort after treatment, this situation is not long-lasting. After 24 to 48 hours, it is resolved, and you are in sound condition. The chiropractic expert may discuss the case before going for any intervention. We may term it as informed consent.
Regulation of chiropractic cure
The regulatory bodies regulate chiropractic treatment. You need to register yourself as chiropractic professional to get licensed. The profession has specific codes standards and best practices. It is a safe and secure treatment method. You need to study in an accredited chiropractic program to become a chiropractic practitioner.
I am Dr. Elan Schrier, a chiropractor based in Delray Beach, offering the best treatment for TMJ, muscle, and spine-related health conditions. We also help with migraines, headaches, aches and pains, vertigo and other health issues. If you have these issues, you may contact me for a chiropractic evaluation. I have years of experience and accreditation in the profession, and I use the best techniques and methods, including NUCCA and NSA, for treating the body.