In some cases, migraines begin suddenly. There is generally a reason for this. Migraines, although known for the intense head pain they cause, are actually a neurological disorder. A headache is just one symptom. Here a few more:
- Vertigo or dizziness
- Visual changes
- Nausea and possible vomiting
- Sensitivity to sound, light, and certain odors
Some common reasons a person may all of a sudden develop migraines can be due to food allergies and genetics. Here are a few more reasons to consider:
- Chemical abnormalities – Neurotransmitters, such as serotonin and dopamine, send signals to the brain. Certain foods, stress, birth control medications, and missing a meal can mess with those signals and cause migraines.
- Vascular complications – If the brain does not get the proper blood flow it will not function correctly. Improper blood flow leads to migraines and neural complications such as meningitis, brain abscesses, intracerebral hemorrhaging, concussions, encephalitis, and other serious issues.
- Central nervous system (CNS) disorder– The central nervous system consists of the brain and spinal cord. A traumatic brain injury, certain infections, degenerative spinal problems, damage to the spinal cord, tumors, pressure on the spinal cord and nerves, structural defects, stroke, and autoimmune disorders can be the reason for a migraine.
Finding Relief for Migraines
Medication may offer temporary relief, but unless the underlying issue is addressed migraines will continue to return. A change in diet may be helpful. However, the best place to start is to make an appointment to see an upper cervical chiropractor.
Migraines are often linked to a misalignment of the upper cervical spine, particularly the top two bones of the neck. If these bones are out of place, they may be putting undue pressure on the spinal cord causing a problem with the central nervous system. This can hinder messages being sent to and from the brain and body. Blood flow and cerebrospinal fluid flow can also be compromised. By using a gentle technique, I can correct these misalignments. Some patients feel immediate results. Some actually see their migraines go away completely. Almost everyone reports a decrease in severity and frequency.