Multiple Sclerosis (MS) is rapidly emerging to be one of the most debilitating neurological diseases amongst young adults. It is prevalent in the northern temperate zones and affects women twice as much as it does men. It is known that at least 250,000 Americans are affected by Multiple Sclerosis.1
Multiple Sclerosis is a disease that affects the Central Nervous Sytem (CNS) which is the brain and spinal cord. What happens is the brain, spinal cord, and protective cover of the nerves degenerates in to scar tissue.2Multiple Sclerosis has largely been mysterious how and why it affects patients. There is no direct cause that has been found to Multiple Sclerosis. With any disease knowing how and why often leads to the ability to finding a solution to a problem.
With recent advances in technology, there is more is known about the condition:
- Multiple Sclerosis is an auto-immune condition, meaning the body starts to attack itself.
- Advanced studies have shown that the brain is affected by inflammation leading to MS type symptoms.3
Traditional treatments for MS are limited in there ability to provide relief for patients. Multiple Sclerosis Specialist, Dr. Elan Schrier, is helping patients get natural relief to Multiple Sclerosis with Upper Cervical Chiropractic. Research has shown the top bone in the neck known as the improper position of the Atlas bone (C1 vertebrae) to be directly related to immune system function and Multiple Sclerosis.
In immune comprised individuals a precise atlas adjustment when indicated, showed improvements of 48% to immune system function.4 In studies of Multiple Sclerosis patients under Upper Cervical Chiropractic care showed a reduction in Multiple Sclerosis symptoms and even healing of the Multiple Sclerosis degeneration in brain tissue.5
When the Atlas is properly aligned it allows for the immune system to properly function and reduce inflammation and often reduce MS and its symptoms. If you are suffering with Multiple Sclerosis in Delray Beach Florida it is important to have your spine examined by an Upper Cervical chiropractor.
- Multiple Sclerosis Information, Rocky Mountain Multiple Sclerosis Center, 1999.
- Guyton A. Textbook of Medical Physiology, 12th Ed. Philadelphia: W.B. Saunders Co., 2010.
- Damadian RV, Chu D. The possible role of cranio-cervical trauma and abnormal CSF hydrodynamics in the genesis of multiple Sclerosis. Physiol Chem Phys. 2011;41:1-17
- Feeley-Collins K, Grostic JD, Hightower BC, Pfleger B, Selano JL. “The effects of specific upper cervical adjustments on the CD4 counts of HIV positive patients.” Chiropractic Research Journal 1994;3(1):32.
- Elster EL. Eighty-one patients with multiple sclerosis and parkinson’s disease undergoing upper cervical chiropractic care to correct vertebral subluxation: a retrospective analysis. J Vertebr Sublux Res. 2004;2:1-9.