Migraines are not simply headaches. In fact, a headache is only one symptom of a migraine. What are other symptoms?
- Pain on one side or both sides of the head described as pounding or throbbing
- Sensitivity to light, sound, and certain odors
- They can last for up to 72 hours
- Nausea and/or vomiting
It may be surprising to learn that 12% of those living in the United States have had a migraine episode within the past year. Migraines are debilitating. They keep those who are suffering from them from doing things that they enjoy. They even interfere with daily tasks. Here are some interesting facts learned during a study of migraine sufferers:
- Those who thought they were more likely to have disagreements with family members were fifty percent.
- Those who are afraid to commit to plans with friends were thirty-two percent.
- Those that felt that they were unable to perform routine household chores came in at eighty-five percent.
To learn more about the connection between head and neck injuries and migraines download our complimentary e-book Natural and Drug-Free Ways to End Your Migraines by clicking the image below.
Triggers for migraines can include not enough sleep, certain foods (wine, chocolate, aged cheeses), extreme stress, and not eating properly leading to low blood sugar. It is possible that migraine sufferers have a more sensitive central nervous system than those that do not have migraines. Medical doctors focus on reducing symptoms. While this can be helpful in the short-term, most migraine sufferers would like a long-term solution.
How Upper Cervical Chiropractic Care Helps with Migraines
At Schrier Family Chiropractic, we focus our attention on the C1 or atlas vertebra. This is the top bone of the neck. If this bone is misaligned, it may be placing undue pressure on the brain stem, thus hindering the central nervous system from functioning properly. Blood flow and oxygen getting to the brain can also be reduced. If the central nervous system is unable to communicate with the brain and the body, migraine headaches can be the result. This has been proven to be the case in a number of studies. Our own patients often report a major reduction in migraine symptoms and severity.