What is TMJ and how can chiropractors can help for TMJ?
Are you suffering from Temporomandibular Disorders TMD and do you want to cure your TMJ pain? Are you feeling back pain and discomfort especially in your neck? Do you know how the chiropractor can help your TMJ? In this article, you will get an insight into TMJ and TMD and how it may affect your lifestyle. For some people chiropractic care is the best solution for these health issues. Chiropractic treatment may provide you relief in several health conditions, and TMJ pain or TMD is one of the issues that chiropractic may solve. What is TMJ, and how can I find that I am suffering from this health situation? Here are the answers.
The basic definition of TMJ
TMJ is the abbreviation of temporomandibular joint, which many patients say they have when they have jaw pain. Every person has an TMJ, but if your TMJ is painful it is usually called TMD(Temporomandibular Disorder) or TMJD(Temporomandibular Joint Disorder). If you are feeling pain at the junction of your jaw and skull, then you are inflicted by this disease. It is a disorder that is related to your joints. Your connection spot becomes painful and swollen. There are various causes of TMJ and TMD. It has different forms and manifestations, but there may be no known cause of this disorder. There are some signs and symptoms of this disease. In treatment methods, a chiropractic treatment stands out of others. If you are demonstrating the symptoms of TMJ, you may find TMJ chiropractor Delray Beach.
The symptoms may differ from person to person, there are different causes, and every person may have different signs. There are some typical problem, and these are common with all sufferers. As these ailments can result in joint problems, it is better to consult a specialist.
Here are some common symptoms of TMJ:
- Pain and aching in your jaws
- You may feel pain in one or both temporomandibular joints
- If there is pain around your ear. It may include one side or both.
- If you feel a problem in chewing or feeling pain while you eat
- Pain on your face
- Your joints are locked, and you feel difficulty in opening your mouth.
- You may feel clicking or cracking of your jaw joint.
This disorder may cause a clicking sound and sensation when you are opening or closing your mouth. If there is pain and you feel limitation when you move your jaw, there may be any need to consult a doctor. You may ask a chiropractor to offer you help in this situation.
When to consult a chiropractor
If your pain is persistent and there is no reduction in the problems, including tenderness in jaws, you should consult a chiropractor. Even if you cannot open and close your jaw completely, chiropractic assistance may offer you relief. You may need to discuss all related issues with a TMJ specialist, so you get treatment for your problem.
Causes of TMJ
With sliding motions, the temporomandibular joint combines a hinge action. Cartilage covers the parts of bones that are connected to joints. A small shock-absorbing disk separates these bones. These disks are beneficial for keeping your movement smooth.
There may be a painful TMJ disorder if:
- The proper alignment is eroded, and disks move out of the way.
- Arthritis wrecks the joints cartilage.
- A blow or other factor damages the joint
You should keep in mind that n most of the cases causes are not significant.
Some risk factors play a role in developing TMJ disorder. These factors include:
- Different forms of arthritis
- Injury in your jaw
- Chronic grinding of teeth
- Specific connective organs problems that may lead to the temporomandibular joint
Getting chiropractor assistance
You may treat TMJ with the help of a chiropractor. The chiropractor helps you in reducing tension and dysfunction of the jaw and spine. As chiropractors treat cervical spinal misalignments and jaw alignment, ultimately, the pressure on different nerves is removed. As a result, it alleviates the stress associated with TMJ.
If you are suffering from TMJ, you may need regular care to keep the pain in control.
If you regularly visit a chiropractor in your area, it may offer you relief in this disorder, and you may get permanent relief. You may choose a reliable, certified, and reputed chiropractor. At Schrier Family Chiropractic, we focus on head and neck problems, like TMJ. The upper cervical spine, jaw, and head meet in one spot where the misalignment of any one can cause pain or disfunction to the rest. You need to give maximum care to your health and treat your TMJ disorder.
Treatment of TMJ
Though you may need to go for a chiropractic improvement, there are different treatments to reduce your symptoms. When you consult a doctor, he/she may recommend the following procedure.
- You are applying moist heat to eliminate the muscle spasm and to reduce pain. Some medicines may be recommended.
- These medicines may include muscle relaxants, aspirin, and instant pain-relieving drugs. You may use anti-inflammatory drugs also.
- You may wear a night guard or splint for a reduction in clenching and grinding. These night guards fit your mouth. It keeps away both jaws to avoid rubbing.
- Muscle relaxation techniques to control stress. You may go for workouts or counseling to help with this purpose.
- TENS is a low-level electrical current to relax your joints. It may provide you relief.
- Low-level laser therapy
- Anti-inflammatory drugs may help you to get relief from pain and swelling
You may try different methods to treat TMJ and TMD disorder, but a visit to a TMJ chiropractor maybe help full.